Dandenong High School
Dandenong High School is a co-educational government secondary school located in Melbourne, Victoria. It serves students from Years 7-12. It is the oldest private or public school in Melbourne’s outer East. 1400 students are housed at the Dandenong site on Princes Highway’s north side. The Administration Building’s historic façade will be preserved as it is heritage listed and will remain a landmark in Dandenong.
The federal government’s Building the Education Revolution initiative saw Dandenong High School and Cleeland Secondary College merge to create the new Dandenong High School. Along with 1785 students, the school has 165 teachers and 54 nonteaching staff.
Officially, Dandenong High school opened on March 10, 1919. It opened late because of the pneumonic flu epidemic at the end of the First World War. The school was only open to 104 students at the time. Temporarily, it was housed with the Temperance Hall’s senior student and the Old Fire Station’s juniors students. 21 November 1919 saw the foundation stone of the Administration Building (A Block) laid. Officially, the school opened in 1920. In 1920, there were 150 students, 60 of which came from the Berwick, Pakenham, Garfield, Bunyip and Garfield areas. Percival Charles Langford, the first Headmaster of Dandenong High School, was a former student. He was a member of the 4th Light Horse Brigade and First Australian Imperial Force. He was active in both the Sinai Campaign and France. He was ineligible to join the Army in September 1916 due to typhoid. The Army recruited him. Langford worked at the school between 1934 and 1934. He then moved to Mildura in 1934 and Frankston in 1937. Langford worked there until he retired in 1948.
The colors of Langford’s Regiment’s Regiment’s and the 4th Light Horse are the school’s colors. They are both red and two shades of blue. D. McKinnon was the school’s art manager and designed the school crest. In 1920, there were six houses – Bluegum Clematis Orchid Wattle Wattle, Boronia and Wattle. This number quickly fell to four after Boronia and Waratah disappeared. Senior mistress Dora Taylor chose the names of the houses and the colors. The school’s regeneration resulted in seven new houses. These are Banksia, Eucalyptus, Hakea, Darwinia and Fern. All are named after Australian flora.
2009 marked the 90th anniversary Dandenong High School. The Administration Building was renamed Langford Building in 2010. To honor the first Headmaster, a plaque was placed at the front.
If you are visiting Dandenong High School and looking for a cleaning service, you can visit House Cleaning Melbourne – Fresh Services which is located in the same area. Check below maps to find the right directions.